   Re: [xml-dev] Nasty XPath expressions

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 14:42, Steve Muench wrote:
> | There are two Java implementations that I know of, that provide some kind of
> | reasonable interface for querying a DOM tree using XPath in a standalone
> | application (Xalan and Jaxen), and only Jaxen provides a full, useable
> | interface.
> Oracle's XML Parser also provides an XPath engine that's
> woven into our DOM implementation. Using it is as easy as:
>    yourNode.selectNodes("Your/Favorite[XPath=Here]");
>    yourNode.selectSingleNode("Your/Favorite[XPath=Here]");
>    yourNode.valueOf("Your/Favorite[XPath=Here]");

You say your users haven't asked for more, but if I was to become your
user, I would. .net offers these methods as well, as do most XPath
engines. What separates them as far as my requirements are concerned, is
their support for setting variables.

I don't see any variable context arguments being passed to any of the
functions above.. let me give you some more details. I need to evaluate
constraints such as this (see www.xlinkit.com):

 <exists var="p" in="$products">
   <equal op1="$a/ProductName/text()" op2="$p/Name/text()"/>
 </exists>

For that I need to be able to bind nodelists to xpath variables before
evaluation. If I can't do that with a particular processor, that
processor is out of the race.

Christian