   Re: [xml-dev] XMLSchema to Oracle Schema

| Anyone knows whether Oracle allows creating a schema defined in XML
| schema?  What I mean is: I know that in Oracle 9i you can submit xml
| structured data to a table directly or else you can query the
| database and the output is directly xml.  So I am asking, can you
| supply oracle with an XML Schema and it creates the schema for you?

In Oracle9i Release 1 (ver. 9.0.1) the database ships with
a built-in implementation of an XML Schema processor. This
can be used programmatically, but is not used automatically
by the database for structure management in the 9.0.1 release.
In this release you can create columns of XMLType, store
XML documents in them, extract nodesets and fragments based
on XPath expression. etc. But at the 9.0.1 release, XML Schema
is not intrinsically involved in offering these features.

But, we've not been standing still. Oracle9i Release 2
introduces new XML Schema-driven facilities which have been
under development for two years in our labs. We did our first
public demonstration two weeks ago of our this so-called
"Project XDB" (Oracle XML Database) support at our big
Oracle OpenWorld conference. It marries the performance
of our object/relational database capabilities to XML Schema,
XPath, and SQLX (natural extensions to SQL to support XML) to
make working with all of your data (including your XML data)
equally easy, equally fast, and equally robust. We're
participating in the XMLQuery effort as well within W3C and
once the XMLQuery syntax is more stable, we plan to support
that, too. The underlying engineering work that it took to
make our existing database engine work natively with XML-Schema-
driven XML was the part that we're now done with. That was
the hard part. Supporting multiple query language *syntaxes*
is the easy part. Working with XDB, the database creates
the necessary, underlying schema objects for you based on how
you've tailored the Schema-to-database mapping.

We've worked closely with Altova to enhance their market-leading
XML Spy XML Schema editor to support directly editing the XML Schema
annotations that control the XML Schema-to-database storage
mapping information. These features in XML Spy went public in
their XML Spy 4.2 release announced last week. Our beta users
can use XML Spy 4.2 to register their XML Schemas with the database
and to create/tailor the XML Schema mappings for their document
instances. This "XDB" capability will be going production
sometime in the first half of 2002, hopefully sooner rather than
later into that period, but the exact date depends on the feedback
from beta users.
Steve Muench - Developer, Product Manager, XML Evangelist, Author
"Simplifying J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J"
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_with_bc4j/j2ee_with_bc4j.html
"Building Oracle XML Applications" - www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp