   RE: [xml-dev] XML and mainframes, yet again

I just ran some tests on NEL. I began by replacing all the line
breaks with NELs in an existing XML document (the DocBook source for
Chapter 9 of Processing XML with Java) and saving that document as
both ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8. I then tried to open the resulting
documents in all the text editors I use on a day-to-day basis.

Not one recognized NEL as a line break. The best behavior was
replacing it with the unrecognized character glyph and wrapping all
the lines. The worst behavior was placing the entire text of the
document on a single line and the application slowing to a crawl.
There are clearly very good, practical reasons not to put NEL on the
wire.

Detailed results follow:

jEdit 3.2.2 put the entire file on one line and slowed to a
crawl with both UTF-8 and Latin-1 versions

Notepad changed the line ends to horizontal ellipses and wrapped the
whole file.

UltraEdit changed them to ellipses and has flickering redrawing

Emacs on Linux in a terminal window represented NEL as \205 and
wrapped the whole file into a single line. When I tried the UTF-8
version, it did the same thing but reported the character as \302\205

pico on Linux turned NEL into a with an accent grave. When I fed it the
UTF-8 version it turned it into an upside down T plus a with accent
grave.

Word 2000 on Windows treated the entire document as one long line
with a lot of horizontal ellipses. When I told Word the proper
encoding it used the missing
character glyph. It still didn't break the lines.

BBEdit on the Mac read it NEL as capital O with diaresis.