   Re: [xml-dev] XML and mainframes, yet again (was RE: [xml-dev] So

>But any file that's in ebcdic encoding will anyway have to have
>an encoding declaration and the parser, if it understands ebcdic at all,
>will have to map everything to unicode, so there's nothing stopping
>ebcdic new-line being used with XML 1.0 as white space in ebcdic encoded
>XML files so long as the parsers map NEL to #10.

Certainly ebcdic-aware implementations can map NEL to #10, but...

>It is unnatural to
>allow #85 as white space in XML as (currently at least) it isn't as far
>as I know an end of line character in any ascii/unicode based system.

... this would mean that you could parse ebcdic files, but not ebcdic
files that had been translated to Unicode in the standard way.

>At least NEL was flagged as being considered in the original
>requirements doc and is a single byte in utf8.

Um, no it isn't.  Only 0x7F are single bytes.  It's a single byte
in Latin-N.

-- Richard