   Re: [xml-dev] XML and mainframes, yet again

David Brownell wrote:

> Not if you go by what most systems do with those codes; what I've
> seen in practice is that those codes will map to U+0080..U+009F.

In fact, no.  Most systems are Windows systems, and map byte 80
to U+20A0, and so on.

> Some ISO-8859-1 spec addendum would be interesting, since
> that's where those were defined (prior to importing to Unicode).

8859-x no more defines the control characters than Unicode does.
The relevant spec is ISO 6429:1992, ISO-IR-77.  You can see a slightly
older version of this at
http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/077.pdf

In principle, one of the other half-dozen ISO-IR C1 control character
sets might be in use in Unicode plain text, but they are all even more
special-purpose than 6429.

> The rule of thumb being that one adds a high order zero byte to
> the ISO-8859-1 code points ("bytes") and gets Unicode.

True as far as it goes, but that does not mean that U+0080 through
U+009F are in ISO-8859-1.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com