   Re: [xml-dev] terra incognita

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul T" <pault12@pacbell.net>
To: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>; <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] terra incognita

> XML is just a Comma Separated Values
> on steroids.
>
> People do use Comma Separated Values for
> serialization and for import /export of everything,
> so I don't understand why can't we use XML as
> a serialization 'language'.

You can but there are issues such as

a.) XML is not as efficient as a serialization technology as other methods
especially over the network (although if use HTTP and gzip encoding this can
be improved)

b.) Using XML involves becoming conversant with a quarter to half a dozen
buzzword technologies that seem to confound the average programmer and even
leave experts unsure of their worth (from SOAP to namespaces to schemas and
more)

c.) XML was originally designed to deal with text primarily and not binary
data, this shows itself from time to time when using XML as a data
serialization and is partly the cause for the intense discussion in the XML
1.1 thread.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #196
I will hire an expert marksman to stand by the entrance to my fortress.