   Re: [xml-dev] terra incognita

XML is just a Comma Separated Values
on steroids.

People do use Comma Separated Values for
serialization and for import /export of everything,
so I don't understand why can't we use XML as
a serialization 'language'.

It is true that at first glance YAML looks
'better for serialization' than XML, because
'YAML has been designed for serialization',
Unfortunately,  it is not that simple.

When making a decision about serialization,
many things should be taken into account.
For example, there is some subset of XML, which is
supported by almost any tool ( namespaces are
out of that subset ), so when  investing into another
( perhaps better ) serialization format, one should
estimate the number of tools he would need to rewrite.

What makes XML bad for serialization? I know it is
not ideal, but I think it is good enough and when trying
to look at the big picture ( tools, scalability,
e t.c. ) to mee it looks better than any other
alternative. What's JNI ? Java Native Interface ?

As to YAML ... If YAML would get DOM,
XPath, XSLT, Schema, support from all the big
guys ( including MS ) , support from the press mafia
e t.c.  - why not YAML?

Rgds.Paul.