   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 05:06 am, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > that want to display anyway--or are the control character performing
> > some kind of formatting?
>
> How could I know? A property in WebDAV can be *anything*.

This is a problem with the WebDAV spec, not XML.

I have never seen a reasonable way in WebDAV to even specify the legal values
for properties (schemas) so extended properties are suspect at best.

A lot of the issues here are abuse of the existing infrastructure. A good
analogy is in the good old days of "finger". A lot of people, self included,
abused finger so that we could transfer data through firewalls (and create
awesome animated ASCII movies). We had to work within the bound of the
system, and yes, it was inefficient, and kludgy.

Don't blame the system for your abuses is my recommendation.... and if you
really can't stomach it, *do something else*.