   RE: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

I guess it depends on the definition of "text". You are right that those who
defined WebDAV should have thought of this, but they didn't.

Besides, if something is "almost always" XML text, making the payload hex-
or base64-encoded  would make the protocol messages much harder to read (and
more inefficient to process).

> Transmit it as binary,
> such as using a bin64 encoding.
>
> More to the point, why do you want to encourage author names with
> control characters in them?  Surely they would break receiving systems

I don't want to.

> that want to display anyway--or are the control character performing
> some kind of formatting?

How could I know? A property in WebDAV can be *anything*.

Julian