   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

>>If your data is not text, then don't transmit it as text.
>>

> I guess it depends on the definition of "text". You are right that those who
> defined WebDAV should have thought of this, but they didn't.

XML relies on Unicode to define what is "text".

I would say that the border line which shouldn't be crossed is that XML
deals with characters and not bytes: if it can be a valid Unicode
character, adding it to XML is probably "negociable", otherwise I think
it should not be.

> Besides, if something is "almost always" XML text, making the payload hex-
> or base64-encoded  would make the protocol messages much harder to read (and
> more inefficient to process).

If it's almost text, why not just use an encoding which does better with
"almost text" than base64 or hex?

Reminds me of James Clark urging us to "make progress without
compromising the strength of XML" ;=) ...

My 0,02 Euros

Eric
--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour les Electronic Business Days 2002.
                                   http://www.edifrance.org/ebd/index.htm