   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

 From: "Alan Kent" <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au>

> If I have understood your desire, I guess we differ here. I would
> rather see XML (that claims to support Unicode) support all of Unicode.
> I *personally* don't feel that prohibiting valid Unicode characters
> from appearing in documents is worth the benefit of protecting people
> against feeding in data in the wrong encoding.

If you send a document
    me E15,000</p>
where the E was the Euro character, I do not think
you would be happy if the delivering system merely
stripped out the Euro character (e.g. if the document
was written using x80 as the Euro character but
mislabelled ISO 8859-1 or ISO 8859-15.)

It would change the meaning of the document so that
you are asking for less rather than more. This is something
that checksums and signatures will not remedy.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe