   RE: [xml-dev] terra incognita

ideal.

Ahh, but that's true of most technologies that really take off.  Think of
HTTP.  Or computers, for that matter.  Or telephones.

As the marketing folks like to say these days, XML is a "disruptive
technology."  Its success breeds success in areas it wasn't designed to
handle.  It doesn't work as well as a custom technology for much besides
text markup, but then again Wang wordprocessors worked better for text
editing that PCs, VANs are more secure than HTTP over the internet, etc.
etc. etc. XML's familiarity, ubiquity, low cost, and the assistance of
Moore's Law make objections concerning its design point, its inefficiency,
and the extra steps needed to encode arbitrary data more or less moot.