   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 12:29 pm, J C Theriot wrote:
> This argument seems to apply equally against Base64 encoding as it does
> against control characters.

Yes and no. In the BASE64 case, at least you are *explicity* acknowledging
that the data is outside that representable by XML... but yes, in both cases,
the only way to reliably deserialize things is by decoding the character
stream.

The point is then, why complicate things with control characters for no
benefit whatsoever?

> I think of XML not as a textual markup language, but rather as a layer over
> which markup languages can be defined.  Why is it the job of XML to prevent
> characters that are not appropriate for some classes of markup languages?

It is a *textual* markup language, first and foremost. A markup language is
different from a "data structuring language", which is closer to what you
describe. Mr. Snell already pointed out that ASN.1 is the standard  for data
structuring...