   Re: [xml-dev] terra incognita

> On Wednesday 19 December 2001 01:50 am, Paul T wrote:
> > XML is just a Comma Separated Values
> > on steroids.
>
> That wasn't it's design point. I think XML has been forced into situations
> that it wasn't designed for, and for which it is less than ideal.

I agree with Michael's letter, which is
"... Ahh, but that's true of most technologies that really take off...."

> > People do use Comma Separated Values for
> > serialization and for import /export of everything,
> > so I don't understand why can't we use XML as
> > a serialization 'language'.
>
> Can you put control characters in CSV files?

Yes, I 'can'. I would encode the control character into
base64, uuencode,  or something.

I agree with the point you and Rick are making
( XML is for text and let it be for text ) but not with the
point "XML is bad for serialization".  Brutal XML subset
is OK for plain text serialization.

Rgds.Paul.