   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

>but it seemed to me logical that character refs would be a good way to
>escape characters not otherwise allowed in text ... I'm sure there is a good
>reason why this isn't allowed -- I mean it does let me stuff an < into an
>attribute, so what is the huge difference between that and � ? Oh well,

Nul is a particularly special case.  Parsers generally replace
character references with the referenced character, and allowing nul
in the data returned to the application makes it impossible to use a C
string.  If nul had been in from the start that would have merely been
tedious, but to break existing parser interfaces is much worse.

-- Richard