   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> The difference is that < is a legal character in C strings whereas
> NUL is not. Once the parser decodes that reference and tries to stick
> it in a string or stuff it in a database, all hell can break loose.
> Some languages are more  hell-resistant than others, but it's a big
> enough problem that it does need to be considered.

I don't disagree, but what seems strange about this argument is that it
seems inconsistent to take a stand for keeping certain characters out of
XML because in their serialized-as-bits-and-bytes forms they tend to cause
C programmers to have to think of ways to work around them, while at the
same time scoffing at the suggestion that IBM mainframe users shouldn't
have to keeping working around NEL not being a line-ending whitespace
character.

   - Mike
  mike j. brown, fourthought.com  |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/
  denver/boulder, colorado, usa   |  personal: http://hyperreal.org/~mike/