   WebDAV (was Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft)

On Thursday 20 December 2001 12:57 pm, Julian Reschke wrote:
> I prefer to have layered specifications, and not to specify until the
> problem is well understood and enough people are interested.

Me too. I think WebDAV is still too shaky to serve as a foundation.

> The server would still need to implement resource discovery
> (PROPFIND), namespace manipulations (COPY, DELETE, MKCOL). Do you think
> that these features are useless without locking?

Depending on the application, no. For most/many things though, yes.

> They aren't ordered.

The spec is unclear on this, and clients certainly can't handle unordered
multiple occurrences of the response blocks... though the spec appears to
allow this.

> > WebDAV interoperability has more to do with the small size of the overall
> > community (tribal knowledge) than it does with clarity or correctness of
> > specification.
>
> Yes and no. I agree that RFC2518 needs more work to go into the next stage
> in the standardization process, but I doub't you'll find a single person in
> the Working Group disagreeing with that. In fact, there's a long list of
> known issues which need to be resolved for this next step.

I know this... my point is that if you implement according to the
specification, you will likely be wrong, or at least not interoperate. That's
not useful.