   Re: [xml-dev] Why would MS want to make XML break on UNIX, Perl, Python

>>> So if you can send ^D down your UNIX pipes, it is because the
>>> specific programs in the
>>> pipeline happen to be reading the input stream in binary mode not =
>>> text mode.

But this is not true.  It would only not work if some specific program
had its own "text mode" in which it did this.  I have never seen such
a program.

Do you have a real example of one?

>Also I wrote: "a file opened in text mode through stdio may have =
>embedded ^D (UNIX) or ^Z (PC) converted to EOF by the standard
>library routines that = read/write from/to stdio and present them to
>the application.

None of the Unix standard library routines do this.

>Again this is attributing it to the library routines (the API) not the
>operating system.

You referred to text mode in stdio.  In Unix, there is no distinction
between text and binary mode in stdio.  Text mode in Unix does not
do any line-end conversion, and does not interpret control-D.  It is
a no-op.

-- Richard