   Re: [xml-dev] Why would MS want to make XML break on UNIX, Perl, Python

On Thursday 20 December 2001 08:18 pm, Richard Tobin wrote:
> You referred to text mode in stdio.  In Unix, there is no distinction
> between text and binary mode in stdio.  Text mode in Unix does not
> do any line-end conversion, and does not interpret control-D.  It is
> a no-op.

This is still not a reason to allow control codes. You know, as well as I do,
that they *will* cause problems. NUL is of course even worse. One reason for
XML's success is that it is easily manipulated by common tools (see The Art
of Programming). We should maintain that.

My objection is really based on what makes sense for a textual markup
language, and what doesn't.. The use of XML for database interchange, and for
open protocols, is new, and probably part of a very short technology cycle
(meaning that it will likely become irrelevant in the big picture, and likely
replaced in the next 5-10 years).