   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema and Timezones

OK, this is getting interesting :)

If you use the formula

UTC = local time   timezone offset,

then UTC can't be constant relative to real time (civil time i think it's
called). In fact, looking at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
UTC is just the newer name for GMT, so they are the same thing and hence if
GMT varies based on the time of year, so must UTC!? Let me rephrase;
although both GMT/UTC remain constant, all time relative to these (may) vary
and hence the meaning is pretty much completely lost (or at least can be out
of sync).

Unless I am missing something, using UTC in this manner is almost pointless
because resolution to some local time will
only make sense so long as you are in the correct time zone (interesting for
web services).

I can see this is addressed in 3.2.7.3 of
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime, but it doesn't help me much.
"In general, the ·order-relation· on dateTime is a partial order since there
is no determinate relationship between certain instants."

My point is that although not determinate through a constant, they are
determinate via some other source (e.g.
http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm).
I don't expect XML Schema to validate this, but i would think it would be
useful to be able to indicate it. Kind of in the same way that the
"language" data type definition works.

My finishing example is I said to the directors of my imaginary global XML
company "We will meet every Monday at 2PM UTC". My point is that in the
summer this may mean 1PM and in the winter 2PM in some locale. Of course
it's easy for us to work out, but some application just receiving the data
has no way of co-ordinating these times into local times (which everyone
works in) because the time zone information is not indicated.

I understand that in a perfect world we would operate under the same time,
but we don't and hence scheduling is extermely difficult because you may end
up being an hour out from the intenteded time.

I am trying extremely hard to settle on this, but I then go back to my
scheduling application and realise that it will have problems when used in
co-ordinating activities accross multiple timezones. I have my own solution
which indicates the target timezone, but a discussion with people who know
timezone stuff better than me certainly helps !!

I understand convert all times to UTC and you'll be OK - but this really
only makes sense as long as these times remain in their originating
timezones when DST is applied.

Thanks,
A confused Steven
www.deltabis.com