   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema and Timezones

s.livingstone@btinternet.com wrote:

> GMT varies based on the time of year, so must UTC!? Let me rephrase;
> although both GMT/UTC remain constant, all time relative to these (may) vary
> and hence the meaning is pretty much completely lost (or at least can be out
> of sync).

No, GMT/UTC _never_, _ever_ changes due to the day of the year (but
changes due to the time of the day :). It is constant throughout the
life of the universe (or roughly thereabouts). The timezone that the UK
happens to operate on changes throughout the year. Sometimes they use
UTC, sometimes the use DST. Doesn't really matter, UTC is always
constant. This means sometimes they use an offset to UTC, and sometimes
they don't.

--
Justin Couch                         http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Freelance Java Consultant                  http://www.yumetech.com/