   RE: [xml-dev] XML "tuple spaces" alpha technology demonstrated

Definitely, because they're both based on David Gelertner's original idea of
"tuple spaces".  As I understand it (and I just started reading the Sun
JavaSpaces book!) JavaSpaces and TSpaces exchange Java objects; JavaSpaces
uses Jini as the transport layer.  Ruple and other "XML spaces" systems
exchange small XML documents, providing application independence, platform
independence, and vendor neutrality  while leveraging HTTP/SMTP/FTP/etc as
well as XPath, SOAP and other XML techologies.  The RogueWave whitepaper
http://www.roguewave.com/developer/tac/ruple/ruplepdf.cfm discusses the
comparison explicitly, and it's also brought out in an article one of their
developers wrote at
http://www.frtechbiz.com/displayarticledetail.asp?art_id=53045&cat_id=134

> It would be interesting to do a comparision between the two
> (once i get some time from my daily grind ;-)).

I would be very interested in seeing such a comparison. I'd be especially
interested in hearing whether Sun is still doing anything with JavaSpaces;
it would seem to me that the basic idea (a class/schema-neutral way of
exchanging data among components of a loosely-coupled system) really does
fit better in the XML world than the Java world.  But then again, I'm an XML
bigot (and former Java bigot in recovery <grin>), so an independent
perspective would be intriguing.

Also, to pick up the theme in my post in the XQuery/update thread, contrast
the JavaSpaces/TSpaces/XMLSpaces/Ruple approach to what I called the
"schema-centric" XML programming model.  As I see it, the approach assumed
by those who see types as the focal point of an architecture is the that
strongly typed objects are exchanged between more tightly coupled
components, usually via an OODBMS or schema-specific data exchange in an
RDBMS or an XML DB.