   RE: [xml-dev] The Two Poles of the XML World (was RE: [xml-dev] W3C's f

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] The Two Poles of the XML World (was RE: [xml-dev] W3C's five new XQuery/Xpath2 working drafts - Still missing Updates)
  • From: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:43:39 -0700

One clarification ... this doesn't mean that one never uses schemas or
validation in a loosely coupled system.  It may be useful to use a
validation step to decide how to route a message, or to determine whether a
data cleanup or conversion process has worked properly, and of course this
requires some sort of schema or DTD to be defined.   The distinction I'm
trying to make is that as a general rule, the more one defines a strict
datatype "contract" between nodes, the more tightly coupled the overall
system becomes, and the system becomes more fragile in the face of change.
This fragility is manageable in a small organization, problematic in a large
one, and extremely difficult in an application widely distributed over the
internet.