   XML Parsing using DOM parser

Dear Gurus,

           Kindly share your thoughts.. I recently
wrote a code to parse an XML file containing catalog
content (as big as 10MB) using DOM parser. The
performance has been miserable particularly when the
XML file size increased. The problem is that using a
SAX parser (the only other alternative that strikes
me) I would have to re write the complete XML and the
code for this would be really elaborate. My final
objective of parsing to change 2 lines for every
catalog item (the XML file has as many as 3000 catalog
items).

    I am wondering if any of you have encountered such
problems and how you went about resolving it. Using
DOM parser is safe when it comes to maintaining the
identical XML structure particulary when I need to
make slight modifications on the original XML. But how
do I overcome the problem of the HUGE time taken to
convert the XML into a DOM tree. Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Deepa