   Re: [xml-dev] XML Parsing using DOM parser

At 10:29 AM 02/01/02 -0800, Deepa Venkatesan wrote:
>           Kindly share your thoughts.. I recently
>wrote a code to parse an XML file containing catalog
>content (as big as 10MB) using DOM parser. The
>performance has been miserable particularly when the
>XML file size increased. The problem is that using a
>SAX parser (the only other alternative that strikes
>me) I would have to re write the complete XML and the
>code for this would be really elaborate. My final
>objective of parsing to change 2 lines for every
>catalog item (the XML file has as many as 3000 catalog
>items).

This may be a job for perl or python.  Both have XML parsers;
in perl and I assume python these can be up with a bit of work
to pass everything through and let you fiddle with just the
pieces you want.  If the incoming data was generated by a
machine it's quite likely sufficiently regular that you don't
even need to use the XML parser, just pattern-match for the
tags you care about. This will run faster and be less work
to write. -Tim