   RE: [xml-dev] Effective XML

How about changing your third one to "Use SAX when efficiency matters" (to
suggest that using the DOM can be the right design choice in some
instances).

I very much like the first two. I really wish RDDL was more widely adopted.
I'm also inclined to add the following (though others may disagree with the
last 2):
  - Don't use XML documents as a database
  - Stick with UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings (and if you don't know what that
means, learn)
  - Use namespaces for modularity and extensibility
  - Be friendly to non-validating parsers -- don't rely upon PSVI constructs
(e.g. defaulted attributes, IDs) without prior knowledge of how the document
will be used

I know the last one is probably controversial. I personally think that
parsing, validating, and transforming/filtering the infoset should be
explicitly separate processing layers, but I guess I can't change the world
on this one. At least, though, we should be able to say it is not a best
practice to bludgeon every user of your documents into relying upon DTD or
XML Schema validation to get the intended content of your document.