   RE: [xml-dev] Effective XML

> How about changing your third one to "Use SAX when efficiency matters" (to
> suggest that using the DOM can be the right design choice in some
> instances).

Yes, thats a better wording.

Here's a related question: is the W3C DOM really the right design choice
for any application other than a browser? IOW, applications where several
vendors have to agree on an exact representation of a document, and
expose that consistently. I've come the conclusion (perhaps belatedly :)
that DOM is best in this scenario, it's not necessarily the right choice for an
object model for a single application.

So, some form of tree-based object model is certainly the right choice in some
scenarios, but there are a growing number of language specific models which
seem much friendlier.

> ...I really wish RDDL was more widely adopted.

Wonder whether RDDL might have a role to play in the ISO DSDL effort?
It includes defining a pipeline framework, and possibly RDDL could play a
role in dynamically retrieving validaton components/schemas to build
these pipelines. Anyone considered this?

>   - Don't use XML documents as a database
>
>   - Stick with UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings (and if you don't know what that
> means, learn)
>   - Use namespaces for modularity and extensibility
>
>   - Be friendly to non-validating parsers -- don't rely upon PSVI constructs
> (e.g. defaulted attributes, IDs) without prior knowledge of how the document
> will be used

I agree with all these.

Cheers,

L.