   RE: [xml-dev] XML Parsing using DOM parser

> > I'm sure you mean this isn't the way the DOM is designed to
> > be used and not
> > XML. A 10MB XML document stored in an NXDB or XML-enabled DB
> > with proper
> > indexes and a DML should be able to handle his problems a
> > whole lot better
> > than using the DOM can.
>
> Yes, sort of...
>
> What I actually meant was, don't try to parse 10Mb of raw
> XML, into a DOM or
> anything else, every time you want to extract a single bit from it, if
> extracting a single bit is a frequent operation.

What's always interesting for me is that people tend to treat
the decision DOM, JDOM or SAX as an "all or nothing" question.
In particular when dealing with large documents it makes quite
some sense to mix both. For example:

  - Write a SAX handler, that identifies an "interesting"
    part of the document.
  - If the SAX handler detects that part, it instantiates
    a DOM builder and fires further SAX events to the
    DOM builder.
  - If the SAX handler detects the end of the "interesting"
    part it supplies the created DOM object to some callback
    handler and terminates use of the DOM builder. After
    that it continues parsing.

Writing such a SAX handler is much simpler than implementing
the whole application in SAX. And the "interesting" DOM object
will probably have no memory problems at all.

Yours,

Jochen