   Re: [xml-dev] XML Parsing using DOM parser

From: "Wiedmann, Jochen" <jochen.wiedmann@softwareag.com>

> What's always interesting for me is that people tend to treat
> the decision DOM, JDOM or SAX as an "all or nothing" question.
> In particular when dealing with large documents it makes quite
> some sense to mix both. For example:

Good point -- even if I do recall making it, and using this very
example, in a SAX2 book that should appear before long!  :)

>   - Write a SAX handler, that identifies an "interesting"
>     part of the document.
>   - If the SAX handler detects that part, it instantiates
>     a DOM builder and fires further SAX events to the
>     DOM builder.

Where unfortunately you've got to write your own DOM builder,
since most of the standard ones are set up to build entire
Document objects.  Luckily that's a simple task.

>   - If the SAX handler detects the end of the "interesting"
>     part it supplies the created DOM object to some callback
>     handler and terminates use of the DOM builder. After
>     that it continues parsing.
>
> Writing such a SAX handler is much simpler than implementing
> the whole application in SAX. And the "interesting" DOM object
> will probably have no memory problems at all.

More, you can send such DOM objects through a pipeline
and discard them when you're done.  That means you get
the benefits of a SAX-based pipelined processing mode
along with the "don't have to design a new data structure"
benefits of DOM, in one package.

Yes, mixing SAX with other APIs is a good way to get
all the benefits, without needing to learn "yet another API".

- Dave