   RE: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

At 04:30 PM 1/3/2002 -0800, Evan Lenz wrote:
>Last February (before I joined the XSL WG), I wrote a paper on XQuery
>reinventing XSLT. David has now written one (via email) on XQuery
>reinventing XML. Who wants to write the one on XQuery reinventing XML
>namespaces?
>
>Go to http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/ and search for "xmlns" to see what I
>mean.

Well, since I wrote that section, I would be very interested in hearing why
you feel this is a reinvention of XML namespaces. I had intended to
describe a way of handling namespace declarations in literal XML content
that was compatible with the existing namespace specification, leveraging
the concept of null namespaces from XPath 1.0.

Where do you think this goes astray?

>Provocative tone intentional. Public feedback is good.

I managed to detect your provocative tone. I have not yet detected the
content of your critique. If you want to give me some more details, I can
respond more substantively.

Jonathan