   RE: [xml-dev] Effective DOM (was RE: [xml-dev] Effective XML)

  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Effective DOM (was RE: [xml-dev] Effective XML)
  • From: Eric Bohlman <ebohlman@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 22:20:44 -0600

1/3/02 11:03:23 AM, "Leigh Dodds" <ldodds@ingenta.com> wrote:

>Thinking about it, if this feature *is* to allow different classes for differently named
>elements, then presumably this is to allow these classes to have additional
>behaviour. You're going to need a cast or similar to get an alternate reference,
>so this could be handled just as well by delegation I think. Or have I gone all
>Java-centric again :)

Or consider the case where the implementation is semantically aware.  The classic case of this would
be the HTML DOM, where the objects in the model correspond to constructs that are being rendered on-
screen.  What would it mean to rename a P element to a UL in a rendering DOM?  Renaming an element
could have strange consequences in a semantically-aware DOM.