   RE: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query
  • From: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:38:05 +0100

David,

So do I. But the datatype is NOT URI, it's a URI reference.

> Imagine if we had let namespaces contain relative URIs, then we'd have to

They are allowed, just "deprecated" by a separate note.

> change all of our terminology to namespace URI references.  And then if we

It *is* a URI reference. Just because the W3C later decided that relative
URI references shouldn't be used doesn't make every legal namespace name a
URI.

For instance, the namespace name "http://greenbytes.com#reference"; is
perfectly ok (it's not relative), yet it's a URI reference, not a URI. Thus
(as you said), I think it's wrong to talk about the "namespace URI". It may
not be a URI.

Regards, Julian