   Re: [xml-dev] 2002 as the year of XML

1/6/2002 6:38:30 PM, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

>I worry that if Cringeley's right, it's probably for reasons which won't
>take us any place interesting:
>
>http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020103.html

Hmmm, but 2 and 3 are in the context of prediction #1:
"The dominant theme will be the continuing battle between evil and evil as Microsoft expands its .
NET strategy and the rest of the industry responds."

Which side are YOU on in the battle of evil vs evil <grin>

Seriously I'm intrigued by "The big XML hit for 2002 will come from a company called KnowNow. "

KnowNow doesn't hype  the same old same old Webservices/SOAP/UDDI/.NET Is The New Paradigm stuff, it sells
something called an event router.  Byte had an intriguing, but confusing article called The Event-Driven Internet
last month http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1816/byt20011128s0003/1203_udell.html that made me
curious about this.   See also http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article/0,2198,3531_793671,00.html

Apparently their products enable a publish-subscribe programming model (as opposed to the client-server
or call-response mode) over the standard Web infrastructure, and work by 'holding open persistent
 HTTP/HTTPS connections between the KnowNow Event Router and the application),
and KnowNow JavaScript Microserver (its Java-based counterpart) ... eliminating the need to periodically "refresh."'

The Byte article mentions other publish-subscribe products on the horizon (including dear old Hailstorm).  This all sounds
kindof neat and usful, but I don't see it being the Big XML Hit for 2002.  Can someone explain the hype-think here?