   RE: [xml-dev] JAXP's ID Transform failing to include namespace de clarat

At 1:34 PM -0800 1/7/02, Michael Brennan wrote:

>I'm not sure I'd agree it is a flaw of the DOM. I think it is a flaw of DTDs
>and the screwed up processing model that prevails in the XML world. If the
>tasks of parsing, validating, and adding PSVI constructs to the infoset were
>clearly defined as separate processing layers, I think things would be much
>cleaner. Imagine if you could create a Transformer from a DTD rather than an
>XSLT stylesheet, feed a Source into it and get a Result that has been
>validated and had PSVI constructs added rather than having this
>functionality embedded in a black-box parser, wouldn't that provide a more
>sensible and flexible processing model for XML?

That's only part of the problem though. Namespaces are also nasty,
and that's purely DOM's fault. I can use namespaces to produce a
document that can't be serialized without any DTD. And it possible to
avoid this. JDOM and XPath 1.0 both do not allow the namespace
declarations to get out of sync with the namespaces actually used.