   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting XML-DIST-APP thread

At 10:51 PM 08/01/02 -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
>> "there's an evil little secret about Web services that most vendors
>> don't talk about. Web services' protocols are very fat, and that means
>> that Web services interactions over the network will be slow and eat up
>> a large chunk of bandwidth"
>
>This is pretty well known.

I think this assertion is content-free.  What you care about is
the performance of the whole system.  What proportion of that
performance is due to the delays in pumping the RPC messages
back and forth, and which proportion is consumed by business
logic at the endpoints of the transaction? When somebody
does some quantitative work showing that in a significant
real-world application, the number is high enough to be a
problem worth addressing, then it's worth addressing.

This kind of thinking goes on all over the place.  I call it
the "junior-engineer-deciding-to-code-it-in-assembler-to-make-
it-faster-without-measuring-first" fallacy.  -Tim