   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting XML-DIST-APP thread

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Tim Bray wrote:

> >This is pretty well known.
>
> I think this assertion is content-free.  What you care about is
> the performance of the whole system.  What proportion of that
> performance is due to the delays in pumping the RPC messages
> back and forth, and which proportion is consumed by business
> logic at the endpoints of the transaction? When somebody
> does some quantitative work showing that in a significant
> real-world application, the number is high enough to be a
> problem worth addressing, then it's worth addressing.

Try browsing the Web with a local web server as opposed to using dialup!

> This kind of thinking goes on all over the place.  I call it
> the "junior-engineer-deciding-to-code-it-in-assembler-to-make-
> it-faster-without-measuring-first" fallacy.  -Tim

Although that kind of stuff is often quoted as being rampant, I instead am
always finding that it's hard to optimise things late in the game because
people have often come up with designs that make certain classes of
useful optimisation hard...

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell