   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services Best Practice (was: Interesting XML-DIST-APP

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Cc: <kurt@kurtcagle.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 5:51 AM
Subject: [xml-dev] Web Services Best Practice (was: Interesting XML-DIST-APP
thread)

> 1. Stay away from using XML messaging to do fine-grained RPC.  For
> example, stay away from a service which returns the square root of a
> number.  Stay away from a service that returns a stock quote (this is
> the classic-cited example of a Web service).

I've been supposed to write an article on web services for a while now but
have never gotten around to it because it seemed everywhere I looked teh
examples of web services I saw were for trivial applications that made little
sense to me and which I could not present in a convincing way as showing the
need for web services.

Since then I've been trying to come up with the quintessential "Hello World"
of XML web services that doesn't end up looking like using an inefficient
RPC-using-XML-over-HTTP hammer to swat a fly. Any ideas?

My current idea involves obtaining movie availabilities & prices from video
stores sites and combining them with movie review data from another site to
come up with a decision on what movie to rent. Trivial, yes but it does seem
to indicate the potential that is there I think.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #44
I will only employ bounty hunters who work for money. Those who work for the