   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting XML-DIST-APP thread

On Thursday 10 January 2002 09:18 am, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> My horror is not the naive programmer.  Sooner than later,
> the machine itself will teach them where they are going
> wrong.  The beauty of computer science is the computer
> is the best teacher.  My nightmare is a consultant
> selling my customer on notions that are either
> good on paper but bad in the current technology, or old
> as dirt and already done.  In the first case, we have to
> show a customer they paid for something of no worth, and
> in the second case, we have to rewrite all the explanations
> in terms of obsolete or obscure terminology.   When these
> folks latch onto web services, watch out.

It's already happening in both camps. Many consultants are already
seeling multimillion-dollar projects that may or may not have an ROI,
or even work... and there are projects using unskilled programmers
that naivley think distributed applications are just like monolithic
applications.

This is the greatest tragedy of all. I think the hype around the web
as the ultimate tool for business, the bubble, and the tech downturn
should be good lessons to everyone.

Web services have a place for sure... but people need to keep focused
on the ROI. Businesses are about money after all...