   RE: [xml-dev] Interesting XML-DIST-APP thread

Yep.  But remember that money isn't the only ROI.
A side trip in this thread....

My customers are public safety agencies.  The return
on investment for them is lower CFS (call for service)
numbers.  If there is money-component, it is lowering
the cost of reducing the CFS.  The ultimate point
of police work is not to solve crime; it is to reduce it.
Having to solve it means the pre-CFS systems are failing.
Talk to Rudy Giulianni about how he made New York a
safer place to live (9/11 being the exception).

It's very nice to have a real-time metric in orchestrated
process.  One can organize systems neatly around
that.  CFS is a real-time event and you can watch
it's frequency like a thermometer.  You can't immediately
deduce the cause of change, but you know the patient isn't
normal when it goes up or down too far, then start the tests.

Web systems are excellent for pre-CFS applications because
communication is the key making a stronger safer community.

We don't sell web systems.  We use them to develop
public-safety systems.  That is a key to overcoming
the hype and the misguided consultant.  The Application
is King.

len

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol [mailto:gtn@rbii.com]

This is the greatest tragedy of all. I think the hype around the web
as the ultimate tool for business, the bubble, and the tech downturn
should be good lessons to everyone.

Web services have a place for sure... but people need to keep focused
on the ROI. Businesses are about money after all...