   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services Best Practice, summary 2

1/10/2002 12:53:40 PM, Amy Lewis  <amyzing@talsever.com> wrote:

>So: sometimes it makes sense to have silly-little-services that aren't
>terribly exciting by themselves ... because one can foresee that they
>will get aggregated.

That's an awfully good point.  One thing this discussion has clarified for
me is that "Web Services" cover an awful lot of application territory, from
behind the firewall EAI, over-the-web aggregation such as Amy Lewis
described, to the wireless device scenarios I usually bring up.  Clearly
one set of best practices doesn't cover all, and I suspect that the
granularity issue is much like the synchronous/asych issue -- the better
your connections, the fatter your clients, and the faster your back-ends,
the more viable  "SOAP as just another RPC mechanism" is.

I'd just remind people of the converse -- the worse your connections, the
thinner your clients, and the uglier the back-end processing, the more
important it is to ratchet up the granularity and to consider asynch
messaging  protocols, pipeline processing models, the "spaces"
coordination model, and so on.