   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services Best Practice, summary 2

> I'd just remind people of the converse -- the worse your connections, the
> thinner your clients, and the uglier the back-end processing, the more
> important it is to ratchet up the granularity and to consider asynch
> messaging  protocols, pipeline processing models, the "spaces"
> coordination model, and so on.

I'd suggest that the value in asynch systems for this type of
environment isn't so much their asynchronicity as it is their
statelessness.

Being stateless permits, amoung other things, disconnected operation,
as messages can be queued because all the context necessary for
interpreting that message is in the message itself, not hidden in
a connection or elsewhere (like a cookie 8-).

HTTP is stateless for this reason.  Despite it being primarily
request/response (though see response code 203), it has many (most?)
of the desirable properties of a messaging system.

MB