   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Gorille 0.3

Tim Bray wrote:

> Conclusion: somewhat to my surprise, I find that for a lot
> of C tasks, you can keep your text in UTF-8 and work with
> it that way very efficiently.

Absolutely.  Plan 9, which is a Unix-style UTF-8-based
research OS, has the following interesting statistic:

	Of the 170 C source programs in the top
	levels of /sys/src/cmd, only 23 now contain
	the word Rune [i.e. "wide character"].

		--"Hello World [...]"
		  Rob Pike and Ken Thompson
		  http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/utf.html
			(or .ps or .pdf, which are more readable)

All the rest process text (including files, pipes,

command arguments) solely in UTF-8 format.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com