-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> "ECMA has finished the standardization of the common language
> infrastructure of the .NET Framework and the C# programming language,
> taking yet another step towards building an open XML Web services platform."
>
> Weird how the world turns.  MS supports a standard and Java advocates are
> backing a proprietary language.

As of now, C# represents a total commitment to Microsoft lock-in,
and Java doesn't particularly lock you into anyone.  C# could be
fixed by ensuring there were multiple CLR implementations that
worked equally well and had no Windows dependencies.  This may
well happen.

I'm not saying that the way Sun leans on Java is defensible, or
that there's anything wrong with C# as a language. -Tim