   Re: [xml-dev] ECMA Standardizes C#

On Friday 11 January 2002 12:04 pm, Mike Champion wrote:
> I detect a certain tone of irony here <grin> but don't really know
> much about ECMA 262.  Does it not provide a reasonable basis for
> interoperbility (at the language level, not API level) across
> browsers?  Or is the fact that I stay as far away as possible from
> the dark corners of the language showing here?

The language isn't bad actually. I use Rhino in quite a few projects,
for example.

The point really is that to a large degree, the *language* is
irrelevant. It is the API platform that counts.

C# is a language alternative to Java (and a pretty good one too), and
the .Net and other framework classes are an alternative to the
standard Java API's.

FWIW. I think Sun has done a good job with Java overall, even though I
wish they'd let go too. Perhaps they learned their lesson in the POSIX
world...