   Re: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?

"Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI" wrote:

> Has XML reached the stage of WAP? I.e. has XML proven itself to be so complex when being used for real-life applications, that it will die a silent death, just like WAP?

XML doesn't need to be complicated to be useful - although I haven't done much with WAP, it seems that it would be harder to use a simplified subset. Despite all the cage-rattling, I doubt if many developers on this
forum could truly say that they use the XML family to it's full extent - I know I don't. Even among those who may, it would be a fair question to ask if it provides the best ROI.

> Was XML really just: Xtreme Marketing Language?

SGML suffered from under-hype, so by comparison, it may look that way. The result has been good though - XML has managed to get into places that SGML never could have, despite being (arguably) as well suited. The hype
bothered me less and less, the more it seems that there was gold in them thar hills...

> Seemed that as long as it was poserpoints, it worked out fine. But the moment they started to implement solutions, suddenly everybody had to code and code and code, since suddenly XML shows all that it is lacking.

It's hard to comment on that without examples to provide some perspective.

> David even suggested: "XML is definately not new. There is nothing that hasnt been doable for eons with RPC and Ascii."

XML doesn't have to be new to be useful. If it does nothing more than synchronise the syntax of documents, it still opens up many doors.

> XML and supporting areas (Xpath, Schema, XQuery, SOAP etc.) lacks a lot of stuff, when you get down to doing hard work.

Then use other means. The aim is often to create a target document - tool choice may be no more relevant than hardware choice in achieving that objective. The only reason for designing those things is to try to make
life easier. If they don't do that for you, then agiatate for change and/or use something else. Every working group must surely have a moment of "If you build it, they may flee" - as long as efforts are made to
prevent any lock-in, there is little reason for concern.

> 1. Is XML allready dead or dying?

Nope.

> 2. What is needed to make XML usefull?

Try using less of it to accomplish the same goal. What you use, use well. What you replace, check closely to ensure that it achieves your desired result.

> JJ (Heading for my asbestos anti-fire bodysuit.)

If nothing else, congratulations in advance for your valiant attempt to topple the limerick competition for the "Big Thread of the Week" on XML-Dev...:-)

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au
       - Einstein