   XML=WAP? And DOA?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: XML=WAP? And DOA?
  • From: "Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI" <jens.jakob.andersen@post.dk>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:02:56 +0100

Hello

A question that I hope will not go down in flames.

Has XML reached the stage of WAP? I.e. has XML proven itself to be so complex when being used for real-life applications, that it will die a silent death, just like WAP?

Was XML really just: Xtreme Marketing Language?

I was at a web-developer meeting with 5 dot-com survivors (none got rich, real survivors!), and we talked about XML.

Seemed that as long as it was poserpoints, it worked out fine. But the moment they started to implement solutions, suddenly everybody had to code and code and code, since suddenly XML shows all that it is lacking.

David even suggested: "XML is definately not new. There is nothing that hasnt been doable for eons with RPC and Ascii."

XML and supporting areas (Xpath, Schema, XQuery, SOAP etc.) lacks a lot of stuff, when you get down to doing hard work.

Just as WAP does.

2 questions:

1. Is XML allready dead or dying?

2. What is needed to make XML usefull?

JJ (Heading for my asbestos anti-fire bodysuit.)