   Re: SV: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?

1/14/2002 8:00:17 AM, "Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI"
<jens.jakob.andersen@post.dk> wrote:

>1. One of the largest benefits of XML, is that is has
>  generated a hype wave.

Absolutely, although "network effect" sounds SO much better
:~)

>2. XML in itself is no more advanced than CSV.

I still disagree on that; hierarchical self-describing markup
IS a definite advance over CSV.

>3. XML is not easy.

Hmmm, I'm of two minds.  On one hand, the whole bloody mess
of specs is a nightmare, but I really do believe that the
bare essentials -- well-formed elements, attributes, text
with a little help from SAX, a DOM subset, and an XPath/XSLT
subset -- provides quite a bit of gain for not much pain.

>5. I think that XML is still in many areas trying to find a
> place to live between SGML, HTML and RPC, and not really
> fullfilling any of the needs.

It really is nothing but a meta-language for defining
exchange protocols and document formats. It can't be expected
to save the world, just provide a one-size-fits-all meta-
syntax, parser, and API set. Boring, boring, boring stuff
that I'd rather have XML do for me than have to think about
when I'm building a web application.