   Re: [xml-dev] taking XML seriously (was RE: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? AndDOA?)

1/14/2002 10:56:44 AM, "Simon St.Laurent"
<simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

>There is definitely a mismatch between how markup describes
>informationand the ways in which other branches of computing
>expect information.

Sean McGrath has an interesting article on XML 2001 that
makes a similar point
http://www.itworld.com/nl/xml_prac/01032002/
"I think my abiding memory of XML 2001 will be as the
conference at which the data- heads and the doc-heads finally
agreed to call it quits and go their separate ways.
...Document people see the world in terms of XML encoded
information flowing through systems, perhaps undergoing
transformations and validations at various stages along the
way. Data people see rigid XML structures flowing over the
wire between well-defined end-points that encode all the
really interesting stuff in "business logic" at the end-
points."

Another XML 2001 presentation by Stephen Kirkham made similar
points
http://www.idealliance.org/papers/xml2001/papers/html/04-05-
01.html
"In the Object oriented world data is a second class citizen.
Objects control access to and provide operations on data. ...
XML however starts to reverse the clock, it represents a
change in course back to a more data centric world, one in
which data has a life of it's own. Data has effectively
broken free of its object boundaries"

These various distinctions -- Markup vs Mainstream
dataprocessing, Doc-heads vs Data-heads, Data-centric vs
Object-centric, and maybe my Loosely-Coupled vs Tightly
Coupled -- are pointing to many of the same things.    I
don't know that I agree with Sean that the two camps have
called it quits and are going their separate ways, but I
think it is very important to understand that these are very
different use cases for XML, and one reason why we have a
tendency to talk past each other when these subjects come up
on xml-dev.