   Re: SV: SV: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?

On Monday 14 January 2002 09:06 am, Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI wrote:
> It should maybe read: "XML has, as e.g. also CSV files and other
> formatted files, support for adding field descriptors to the data.
> If this is used in a consistent and well-documented manner, it will
> support the understandability of the XML or CSV files."

As I always say, only the interpreter knows what things mean to it,
even between cooperating programs in a given domain (one of the
problems in the web is exactly the notion of trusted behaviour).

At the end of the day, data only becomes information when interpreted
in a local context... and namespaces and specifications *cannot*
change that.

> -Mike: Good point. I bet that the Excel XML file could be quite
> unreadable.

Have a look at OpenOffice XML... should be quite nice, but is actually
much harder than one would expect.