   Re: [xml-dev] Xml is _not_ selfdescribing

At 10:16 AM 15/01/02 -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>At 2:52 PM +0100 1/15/02, Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI wrote:
>>I think that it is fair to conclude now, that XML is _not_ any more selfdescribing than e.g. CSV files.
>
>That's ridiculous. XML absolutely is more self-describing than CSV. Nothing here has proven otherwise.

I can see JJAndersen's point.  XML is self-*labeling*... i.e. the
various chunks of data are labeled, and the labels are right there
so you don't need to go anywhere else to find the labels.  I think
this is one of XML's important virtues.

I can see Elliote's point too, but claiming "self-describing"
potentially gets you on the slippery slope to claiming that
markup encodes semantics, which is a very dangerous place to
be. -Tim